This resource page for the Nikon D3400 contains all the information you need to find support, PDF copies of the manuals, replacement batteries, lenses, compatible memory cards, and accessories.
Nikon D3400 Battery
The D3400 uses a Nikon EN-EL14, which provides 7.4v and 1030 mAh of power. A Nikon MH-24 charger will be needed to charge the battery.
OEM batteries can be expensive. There are lots of cheaper third party options. Unfortunately, they often promise higher capacities than they deliver. If you want to save some money, go with RAVPower or Neewer.
SD Memory Cards
A class 6 or faster SD card should be used in the D3400. If you use a slower card, there can be problems when recording full HD video. For more information check out this page on Nikon D3400 memory card compatibility and recommendations.
You can tell the class of a memory card by looking at the label. There will be a small number inside a C. Any memory card purchased in the last few years will be class 10.
As a minimum, I would recommend at least a 32GB card.
The Nikon D3400 was originally sold in two different kits. The less expensive kit was sold with just the Nikon AF-P DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR. A second lens, the Nikon AF-P DX Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED telephoto zoom, was sold with the other kit.
The Nikon AF-S DX Micro-NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G is the best macro lens for the D3400. With this lens you'll be able to take photos at up to 1x magnification.
The current flash being produced by Nikon for the D3400 is the SB-700. It is a fully-featured flash with iTTL, which will allow high-speed sync. However, the flash is expensive.
PDF Manual Download
Below are links to the official PDF copies of the manuals provided by Nikon. The User's Manuals show you how to use features of the camera. The Reference Manual contains all of the camera specs and information about ever feature of the camera.
- User's Manual - 6.09 MB (English - Americas)
- User's Manual - 6.73 MB (English - Europe)
- User's Manual - 6.73 MB (English - Asia, Oceania, the Middle East, and Africa)
- PDF Reference Manual - 18.04 MB (English)
- Snapbridge Connection Guide
Official Nikon Software
- ViewNX-i - For Windows and MacOS. ViewNX-i is an image downloader and viewer. Includes ViewNX-Movie Editor for movie editing and processing.
- Capture NX-D - For Windows only. Capture NX-D is post-processing software capable of editing RAW images. Also works with TIFF and JPEG images. Allows control over brightness, white balance, contrast, tone curves, and more.
- NEF Codec - The codec makes it possible to use NEF (RAW) files to be used in similar ways to JPEG and TIFF images.
Recommended Free Software
- Darktable - For Windows, MacOS, and Linux. Darktable is a free open source program that has the same features as other RAW developers, like Lightroom or Capture One.
- Capture One - A RAW developer made by Phase One. Very powerful and popular with professional photographers.
- Affinity - An alternative to Photoshop that does not have a monthly fee.
- Adobe Lightroom & Photoshop - Likely the best-known pair of programs for editing photos. In recent years Adobe has switched to a monthly fee payment structure. The performance also lags behind all the other options. I do not recommend either program.
Support Websites & Phone Numbers
The proper support site for your region will allow you to register your camera, get warranty information, schedule a repair, show service advisories, and answer common support questions.