Yes, the Nikon D3300 can use an external microphone plugged into the 3.5mm mic input jack.
Another option is to sync audio recorded by a standalone device in post production. All commonly used editors have the ability to sync multiple audio tracks in post production so tutorials will be widely available.
Using an external microphone can be helpful as the microphone and recorder can be positioned differently from the camera.
Is the Nikon D3300 Still Worth Using for Video?
Yes, the Nikon D3300 is still worth using for video. It is capable of recording full HD video at 60 fps. That is good enough for most basic and beginner video needs.
An upgrade can be nice to have for faster 1080p frame rates or the addition of 4k video recording.
For photography, the Nikon D3300 still takes great quality images. Here is a list of the best lenses for the Nikon D3300.
External Recorder Options
- Built-in stereo condenser microphones in 90-Degree x/Y format.
- Runs off 2x AAA batteries. Runtime is approximately 10 hours of continuous recording time using the built-in mic at 44.1 kHz/16-bit settings.
- 2.5mm Audio Input Jack.
- Records onto a microSD card with a maximum capacity supported of 32GB.
- Playback Speed Control, Voice Emphasize Filter, and Stereo overdubbing functions.
- High-quality unidirectional stereo condenser microphones that can record in A-B and X-Y positions.
- XLR/TRS inputs compatible with +4dBu line level / +48V.
- Powered by 3x AA batteries.
- Records onto a microSD card with a 128GB maximum storage capacity.
- 4-channel mode that can be used for dual recording and nondestructive overdub recording, etc.
- Functions as a 2in/ 2out USB Audio Interface for Mac, PC or iOS recording
- High quality directional mic.
- Does not require a battery.
- Integrated Rycote® Lyre® shock mounting.
- Rugged reinforced ABS construction.
- Windshield included.
- Connects via a 3.5mm mini-jack.
- High sensitivity condenser microphone designed for DSLR cameras.
- Cardioid design can reduces ambient noise.
- Selectable +10dB sensitivity tone up and 200Hz bass filter.
- Shock proof design to reduce noise from vibrations from movement or autofocus motors.
- Requires 1x AA alkaline battery.
- Low power indicator.
- Transmitter operates as a clip-on microphone or beltpack for a lavalier/headset microphone.
- Ultra-compact form-factor – transmitter and receiver weigh a minuscule 31g each.
- Series III 2.4GHz digital wireless transmission with 128-bit encryption delivers crystal-clear audio under any conditions and excels in dense Wi-Fi and Bluetooth environments (shopping malls, conventions, hotels etc).
- Up to 70m range (line-of-sight), optimised for short-range operation in congested RF environments.
- In-built rechargeable batteries that last up to 7 hours, charged via USB-C.
- Super easy to use – transmitter and receiver auto-pair in under three seconds.
- 3-stage output pad (0dB, -12dB and -24dB) and battery saver mode.
- Use up to eight systems in one location.
- Comes in either black or white.
Nikon D3300 Audio Questions
HD video can quickly fill SD memory cards. To make sure you don't run out of storage space, take a look at the best Nikon D3300 Memory Cards.
Can the Nikon D3300 use an external mic?
Yes, an external mic can be used with the Nikon D3300 through the 3.5mm diameter stereo audio jack.
A portable audio recorder like the Zoom H1n or Tascam DR-40X can also be used. These can record audio with their built-in microphones or a microphone can be plugged into them.
Does the Nikon D3300 have a mic input jack?
Yes, the Nikon D3300 has a 3.5mm stereo mini-pin jack.
Does the Nikon D3300 record audio?
Yes, the Nikon D3300 can record audio when shooting video. There is a built-in monaural mic that records audio.
Nikon D3300 Frequently Asked Questions
- Does the Nikon D3300 Have Wireless?
- Does the Nikon D3300 Shoot Video?
- Does the Nikon D3300 Have a Mic Input Jack?
- Is the Nikon D3300 Full Frame?
- Does the Nikon D3300 Have Image Stabilization?
- Does the Nikon D3300 Have GPS?
- Is the Nikon D3300 Weather Sealed?
- Can the Nikon D3300 Be Used as a Webcam?
- What is the Nikon D3300 Crop Factor?
- Nikon D3300 Upgrade Options?