This resource page for the Nikon D3100 contains all the information you need to find support, PDF copies of the manuals, replacement batteries, lenses, compatible memory cards, and accessories.
Nikon D3100 Battery
The Nikon D3100 uses a Nikon EN-EL14 lithium ion battery, which provides 7.4v and 1030 mAh of power. A Nikon MH-24 charger will be needed to charge the battery.
OEM batteries can be expensive. There are lots of cheaper third party options. Unfortunately, they often promise higher capacities than they deliver. If you want to save some money, go with RAVPower or Neewer.
SD Memory Cards
A class 6 or faster SD card should be used in the D3100. If you use a slower card, there can be problems when recording full HD video. For more information check out this page on Nikon D3100 memory card compatibility and recommendations.
You can tell the class of a memory card by looking at the label. There will be a small number inside a C. Any memory card purchased in the last few years will be class 10.
As a minimum, I would recommend at least a 32GB card.
Nikon D3100 Lenses
The Nikon D3100 uses the Nikon F-mount. Many Nikon DSLR and SLR cameras have used the F-mount. As a result, there are hundreds of lenses availablet. Here is a list of the best Nikon D3100 lenses.
The Nikon D3100 was originally sold in two different kits. The less expensive one was sold with a single kit lens, the Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX VR. A second lens, the AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm DX VR telephoto zoom, was sold with the other kit.
The Nikon AF-S DX Micro-NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G is the best macro lens for the D3100. With this lens you'll be able to take photos at up to 1x magnification.
Nikon D3100 Accessories
There are many Nikon D3100 accessories including a gps unit, shutter release, lens hoods, lighting, tripods, external microphones, and other recording devices.
Nikon D3100 External Microphone
There are a few steps that need to be taken in order to use the Nikon D3100 with an external mic.
The current flash being produced by Nikon for the D3100 is the SB-700. It is a fully featured flash with iTTL, which will allow high speed sync. However the flash is expensive.
Wireless with Eye-Fi SD Cards
If you want the ability to have your D3000 connect to a phone or tablet, you will need an Eye-Fi memory card. Eye-Fi cards have built in wireless adapters.
Newer cameras have built in wifi, so the cards are less common. You can still find Eye-Fi cards on Amazon.
PDF Manual Download
Below is a link to the official Nikon USA PDF of the D3100's Digital Camera User's Manual. The User's Manuals shows you how to use features of the camera.
- User's Manual - 16.11 MB (English)
Official Nikon Software
- ViewNX-i - For Windows and MacOS. ViewNX-i is a image downloader and viewer. Includes ViewNX-Movie Editor for movie editing and processing.
- Capture NX-D - For Windows only. Capture NX-D is post processing software capable of editing RAW images. Also works with TIFF and JPEG images. Allows control over brightness, white balance, contract, tone curves, and more.
- NEF Codec - The codec makes it possible to use NEF (RAW) files to be used in similar ways to JPEG and TIFF images.
Recommended Free Software
- Darktable - For Windows, MacOS, and Linux. Darktable is a free open source program that has the same features as other RAW developers, like Lightroom or Capture One.
- Capture One - A RAW developer made by Phase One. Very powerful and popular with professional photographers.
- Affinity - An alternative to Photoshop that does not have a monthly fee.
- Adobe Lightroom & Photoshop - Likely the best known pair of programs for editing photos. In recent years Adobe has switched to a monthly fee payment structure. Performance also lags behind all the other options. I do not recommend either program.
Support Websites & Phone Numbers
The proper support site for your region will allow you to register your camera, get warranty information, schedule a repair, show service advisories, and answer common support questions.
- Nikon USA: 1-800-645-6687
- Nikon Canada: 1-877-534-9910
- Nikon Australia: 1300 366 899
- Nikon UK: 0330 123 0932
Nikon D3100 Specifications
|Body type||Compact SLR|
|Max resolution||4608 x 3072|
|Other resolutions||3456 x 2304, 2304 x 1536|
|Image ratio w:h||3:2|
|Effective pixels||14 megapixels|
|Sensor photo detectors||15 megapixels|
|Sensor size||APS-C (23.1 x 15.4 mm)|
|ISO||Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200 (12800 with boost)|
|Boosted ISO (maximum)||12800|
|White balance presets||12|
|Custom white balance||Yes (1)|
|JPEG quality levels||Fine, Normal, Basic|
|Autofocus||Contrast Detect (sensor), Phase Detect, Multi-area, Selective single-point, Tracking, Single, Continuous, Face Detection, Live View|
|Number of focus points||11|
|Lens mount||Nikon F|
|Focal length multiplier||1.5×|
|Screen type||TFT LCD monitor|
|Viewfinder type||Optical (pentamirror)|
|Viewfinder magnification||0.8× (0.53× 35mm equiv.)|
|Minimum shutter speed||30 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/4000 sec|
|Manual exposure mode||Yes|
|Subject / scene modes||Yes|
|Built-in flash||Yes (Pop-up)|
|Flash range||12.00 m (at ISO 100)|
|External flash||Yes (Hot-shoe, Wireless plus sync connector)|
|Flash modes||Auto, Red-Eye, Slow, Red-Eye Slow, Rear curtain|
|Continuous drive||3.0 fps|
|Metering modes||Multi, Center-weighted, Spot AF-area|
|Exposure compensation||±5 (at 1/3 EV steps)|
|Resolutions||1920 x 1080 (24 fps), 1280 x 720 (30, 25, 24 fps), 640 x 424 (24 fps)|
|USB||USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/sec)|
|HDMI||Yes (Mini Type C)|
|Remote control||Yes (Optional)|
|Battery description||Lithium-Ion EN-EL14 rechargeable battery & charger|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||505 g (1.11 lb / 17.81 oz)|
|Dimensions||124 x 96 x 75 mm (4.88 x 3.78 x 2.95″)|