Nikon D3000 Resources: Software, PDF Manual, & More
Here you can find important resources for the Nikon D3000. The information includes support phone numbers, links to PDF copies of the manual, replacement battery information, compatible memory cards, and accessories.
The Nikon D3000 is the first camera model in the Nikon 3000 series. It was replaced by the Nikon D3100.
Nikon D3000 Battery
The D3000 uses a Nikon EN-EL9 battery. The battery is rated at 7.2v and 1080 mAh.
A Nikon MH-23 charger is needed to charge a EN-EL9 battery.
OEM batteries are expensive. Buying a third party battery can be a good way to save money.
A downside of third party batteries is that they often label their batteries as having higher capacities than they test as. My recommendation is to look for RAVPower or Neewer batteries.
SD Memory Cards
For the D3000 to work properly, a class 6 or faster SD needs to be used. Do not use a card with a capacity over 32GB or the camera will show the card as full.
For information on speed ratings, check out the Nikon D3000 memory card compatibility and recommendations page.
For more options see this for the best Nikon D3000 lenses.
The Nikon D3000’s kit lens was the Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX VR. This is the most common lens that you’ll see bundled with the D3000 on eBay or Amazon.
The Nikon AF-S DX Micro-NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G is the best option for a macro lens to use with the D3000. The lens will allow you to take photos at life size, 1X magnification.
The current flash being produced by Nikon for the D3000 is the SB-700. It is a fully-featured flash with iTTL, which will allow high-speed sync. However, the flash is expensive.
A couple of other options that will work with the D3000 are the Neewer TT560 and Yongnuo YN-560 IV.
Wireless with Eye-Fi SD Cards
If you want the ability to have your D3000 connect to a phone or tablet, you will need an Eye-Fi memory card. Eye-Fi cards have built-in wireless adapters.
Newer cameras have built-in wifi, so the cards are less common. You can still find used Eye-Fi cards for sale.
PDF Manual Download
Below are links to the official PDF copies of the manuals provided by Nikon. The User’s Manuals show you how to use features of the camera. The Reference Manual contains all of the camera specs and information about ever feature of the camera.
- User’s Manual - 6.38 MB (English - Asia, Oceania, the Middle East, Africa and the Americas)
- User’s Manual - 6.38 MB (English - Europe)
- Reference Manual - 15.04 MB (English - Asia, Oceania, the Middle East, Africa and the Americas)
- Reference Manual - 15.45 MB (English - Europe)
Official Nikon Software
- ViewNX-i - For Windows and MacOS. ViewNX-i is a image downloader and viewer. Includes ViewNX-Movie Editor for movie editing and processing.
- Capture NX-D - For Windows only. Capture NX-D is post processing software capable of editing RAW images. Also works with TIFF and JPEG images. Allows control over brightness, white balance, contract, tone curves, and more.
- NEF Codec - The codec makes it possible to use NEF (RAW) files to be used in similar ways to JPEG and TIFF images.
Recommended Free Software
- Darktable - For Windows, MacOS, and Linux. Darktable is a free open source program that has the same features as other RAW developers, like Lightroom or Capture One.
- Capture One - A RAW developer made by Phase One. Very powerful and popular with professional photographers.
- Affinity - An alternative to Photoshop that does not have a monthly fee.
- Adobe Lightroom & Photoshop - Likely the best-known pair of programs for editing photos. In recent years Adobe has switched to a monthly fee payment structure. The performance also lags behind all the other options. I do not recommend either program.
Support Websites & Phone Numbers
The proper support site for your region will allow you to register your camera, get warranty information, schedule a repair, show service advisories, and answer common support questions.
- Nikon USA: 1-800-645-6687
- Nikon Canada: 1-877-534-9910
- Nikon Australia: 1300 366 899
- Nikon UK: 0330 123 0932