The Best Memory Cards for the Sony A580
The A580 uses SD cards and has one card slot. SD cards with a max capacity of 32GB can be used in the A580.
An error code will be displayed if you try to use an SD card that has a capacity of 64GB or larger. You will have to get more memory cards if you need increased storage. The transfer speeds of cards are the important specs to care about.
Sony PRO Duo and PRO-HG Duo cards can also be used in the camera. They are limited to a maximum capacity of 16GB. PRO Duo and PRO-HG Duo memory cards are no recommended as they are discontinued and expensive to buy.
If your A580 is going to be getting used often. A feature that is very good to have is UHS-I as it enables fast speeds with a UHS-I memory card reader.
Getting a high quality SD memory card also will help to future proof the memory card for use in another camera or device. This will help you avoid a future situation where you can not use a feature on a device or camera, such as shooting 4k video, due to the fact the SD cards’s write speed is too slow.
Now is also a great time to make sure the lens or lenses you own are a good choice for the types of photography you are interested in. Check out the best lenses for the A580.The SDHC format was announced in 2006. All 32GB cards that are currently being produced will have almost identical performance. You cannot go wrong buying the cheapest class 10 name brand card. At the time of writing this, the PNY Elite 32GB SD memory card has the best price.
Since the A580 was launched, SD card prices have dropped and capacities have become massive. The price difference between the the card that is the fastest and a cheap option is remarkably little. Price is more tied to storage size, with the largest SD memory cards having a higher price.
Getting the cards with the largest capacity is a good idea if you are going to shoot a huge amount of RAW files for sports, action, event, or wildlife photography. Another contributing factor could be if you are going to upgrade your camera or use the memory card in other devices.
In my opinion, the SanDisk Extreme Pro line of memory cards are frequently the best choice for most cameras. They are very fast cards which gives them the best chance of being compatible with future digital cameras or devices that use SD memory cards.
I have also had good experiences with PNY Elite Performance And Lexar Professional cards. I have not had images or data become inaccessible or lost on these brands. If that’s a situation that did occur, all of the manufacturers provide image recovery software.
Issues I have encountered have been with generic SD cards. Being a bundled item or a low price are the main selling points of these cards. Unfortunately, this is also the most commonly encountered version of card to be advertised incorrectly.
It’s effortless to put a Class 10 label on a card with a Class 4 rating. When the camera image processor starts writing data there is going to be an error or unreadable photos if the card’s write speed does not meet the requirements.
One of the biggest controls over cost you have is the card capacity. You’ll be better off by going one step down in capacity to reduce cost instead of going with a relabeled brand. Read and write speeds are important factors that will influence your satisfaction with the A580.
- Sequential read speed of up to 100MB/s
- Class 10, U1 rating delivers speed and performance for full HD photography and HD videography.
- V10 video speed rating to capture uninterrupted HD video at 1920x1080 format
- Compatible with point & shoot cameras, DSLR cameras, standard & advanced HD-enabled video cameras, and more
- Reliable & Durable: Magnet Proof, Shock Proof, Temperature Proof, Waterproof
- Quick transfer read speeds up to 90MB/s.
- Write speeds are not capable of recording 4k video.
- Class 10 rating for Full HD video (1080p).
- Waterproof, temperature proof, X-ray Proof, magnet-Proof, and shockproof.
- UHS Speed Class 1 (U1) supports Full HD video and burst shots. 130MB/s transfer speeds1 let you upload footage to your PC in an instant.
- Built to survive tough conditions and heavy usage, whether you’re at home, outside, or on the go. Backed by 10-year limited warranty.
- Highly durable with comprehensive 7-proof protection.
- Backed by a 10 year warranty.
The UGreen 4-in-1 memory card reader can handle four memory card formats. These cover all card types camera manufacturers use in all but their most recent professional-level cameras.
The UGREEN reader has a USB 3.0 connection. The card reader’s USB 3.0 transfer speeds will be faster transfer rates than what the A580 can reach using the USB transfer mode.
There are many positive customer reviews for the UGREEN reader, which I agree with. It’s a good product because the card reader has been compatible with all the computers (Windows, Mac, and Linux) I have used with it.
The cable stops memory card slots from getting in the way of other devices or accessories that are plugged in.
When I searched for a card reader that would be better for travel, I needed to go through the return process with several orders. I came across the most frequently found problem mentioned in customer reviews, the card readers would not work with my computer.
The UGREEN card reader supports the following cards:
- CompactFlash Cards
- SD, SDHC, & SDXC Cards (UHS-I supported)
- Memory Stick (MS), MS Pro, MS PRO-HG, & MS XC DUO
- MicroSD, Micro SDHC, & Micro SDXC Cards