Best Canon PowerShot SD900 SD Memory Card
The Canon SD900 uses SD memory cards. 32GB is the maximum capacity SD card that will work in the SD900.
MultiMediaCards (MMC) can also be used in the camera. However, they are not manufactured anymore. If you have one, you can use it. If you do not have one, don’t buy one, they will cost more than an SD card.
SD memory cards that satisfy the SDUC or SDXC requirements will not function properly in the SD900. These cards will be 64GB or larger, so they can easily be avoided.The SDHC format was announced in 2006. All 32GB cards that are currently being produced will have almost identical performance. You cannot go wrong buying the cheapest class 10 name brand card. At the time of writing this, the PNY Elite 32GB SD memory card has the best price.
Recommended SD900 SD Cards
Below are memory cards that will work with the SD900. With all of the cards listed below, you will not have to stress out over slow capabilities or SD memory card glitches.
- Sequential read speed of up to 100MB/s
- Class 10, U1 rating delivers speed and performance for full HD photography and HD videography.
- V10 video speed rating to capture uninterrupted HD video at 1920x1080 format
- Compatible with point & shoot cameras, DSLR cameras, standard & advanced HD-enabled video cameras, and more
- Reliable & Durable: Magnet Proof, Shock Proof, Temperature Proof, Waterproof
- Quick transfer read speeds up to 90MB/s.
- Write speeds are not capable of recording 4k video.
- Class 10 rating for Full HD video (1080p).
- Waterproof, temperature proof, X-ray Proof, magnet-Proof, and shockproof.
- UHS Speed Class 1 (U1) supports Full HD video and burst shots. 130MB/s transfer speeds1 let you upload footage to your PC in an instant.
- Built to survive tough conditions and heavy usage, whether you’re at home, outside, or on the go. Backed by 10-year limited warranty.
- Highly durable with comprehensive 7-proof protection.
- Backed by a 10 year warranty.
Best SD Cards
SanDisk, PNY, Samsung, and Lexar both manufacture reliable memory cards. Inexpensive house brand names ought to be avoided.
Memory card problems, including a loss of all your images because of data corruption, is more probable to occur with bargain-priced cards. A small difference in price is not worth the reduction of construction quality.
If you wish to save a tiny bit of money, buy a card with a smaller capacity. They probably will be a bit lower in price and you won’t need to stress out about the SD card having data failure.
Bear in mind, SD card problems are a very rare experience. Just a couple of cards have become unusable out of the loads I have owned over the years. Age could have contributed to the failure, as the SD cards were included with used cameras.
Canon SD900 SD Card Compatibility
The Canon SD900 is limited to only using SD memory cards. There are 4 different specs of Secure Digital (SD) cards. The benefit is that there is an increase in the transfer rates and max capacity with the release of each updated spec.
Secure Digital memory card readers are backward compatible. A card reader built into a digital camera that can use SDXC cards will also be able to use SDHC and SD memory cards.
The Canon SD900’s card reader is only compatible with the first two SD card specifications. SDXC or SDUC cards are not going to operate correctly.
- Secure Digital (SD) - These memory cards have a maximum capacity of 2GB and are compatible with the SD900.
- Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) - The capacity of these memory cards range from 4GB to 32GB and are also compatible with the SD900.
- Secure Digital eXtended Capacity (SDXC) - The capacity of these memory cards range from 64GB to 2TiB.
- Secure Digital Ultra Capacity (SDUC) - The capacity of these memory cards range from 4TiB to 128TiB.
Canon SD900 Memory Card Full Error
Trying to use an SD card that has a capacity of 64GB or larger in size in the SD900 will result in the digital point and shoot camera to show an error message.
Get a card which has a capacity of 32GB or less to avoid the error.
If you are using an SD memory card that has a storage capacity less than 32GB, and it is not functioning correctly, try to format the SD card in the camera.
Speed, Class, & Capacity
SD Card Image Capacity
The following is an estimate of the total quantity of large JPEGs you can expect to save on an SD card.
- 4GB - 1920 images
- 8GB - 3840 images
- 16GB - 7680 images
- 32GB - 15360 images
Memory Card Speed
The speed rating for SD cards is established by sequential read and write speeds. The speed of the SD memory card is important in the event that many images need to be written to the SD card.
SD Card Speed Class Rating
The Class speed rating of an SD card is related to the sustained write speed of the memory card. A Class speed rating of 2 means that the SD card can sustain a write speed of at least 2MB per second.
- Class 2 - 2MB/s
- Class 4 - 4MB/s
- Class 6 - 6MB/s
- Class 8 - 8MB/s
- Class 10 - 10MB/s
The highest rating a memory card can get is Class 10. There are memory cards that are considerably faster than 10MB/s. Those cards use other technology, such as UHS (Ultra Highspeed Bus), that have a separate rating criteria.
Sustained write speeds of 2MB, 4MB, 6MB, or 8MB per second means the card has a speed class of 2, 4, 6, or 8. Cards that have write speeds of 10MB/s or faster are rated as Class 10.
The MultiMediaCard specification was established by SanDisk and Siemens AG in 1997. MMC cards appear as if they are a thinner SD card.
MMC cards that are going to function in the Canon SD900 include the earliest 2 versions. Compatible memory cards will be branded as MMCplus or MMC. Later generations won’t function correctly with the Canon SD900
I do not advise purchasing any MMC memory cards. No one is presently producing MMC cards that will work in the SD900. Due to this fact, they are quite challenging to purchase used and pricey.
Buy an SD memory card for the Canon SD900 based on price. An expensive card isn’t going to improve performance. As long as it is a speed class 10 card, you will be fine. My recommendation is the PNY Elite 32GB SD memory card.