Best Canon PowerShot SD890 IS SD Memory Card
The Canon SD890 IS uses SD memory cards. 32GB is the biggest capacity SD card that will work in the SD890 IS.
MMCplus and MultiMediaCard (MMC) can also be used in the camera. However, they are no longer made. If you have one, you can use it. If you don’t have one, do not buy one, they will be more expensive than an SD card.
SD memory cards that meets the SDUC or SDXC requirements are not going to function in the SD890 IS. These cards will be 64GB or larger, so they are simple to avoid.The SDHC format was announced in 2006. All 32GB cards that are currently being produced will have almost identical performance. You cannot go wrong buying the cheapest class 10 name brand card. At the time of writing this, the PNY Elite 32GB SD memory card has the best price.
Recommended SD890 IS SD Cards
Down below are memory cards that are compatible in the SD890 IS. With all of the cards below, you will not have to be concerned about memory card failure or slow functionality.
- Sequential read speed of up to 100MB/s
- Class 10, U1 rating delivers speed and performance for full HD photography and HD videography.
- V10 video speed rating to capture uninterrupted HD video at 1920x1080 format
- Compatible with point & shoot cameras, DSLR cameras, standard & advanced HD-enabled video cameras, and more
- Reliable & Durable: Magnet Proof, Shock Proof, Temperature Proof, Waterproof
- Quick transfer read speeds up to 90MB/s.
- Write speeds are not capable of recording 4k video.
- Class 10 rating for Full HD video (1080p).
- Waterproof, temperature proof, X-ray Proof, magnet-Proof, and shockproof.
- UHS Speed Class 1 (U1) supports Full HD video and burst shots. 130MB/s transfer speeds1 let you upload footage to your PC in an instant.
- Built to survive tough conditions and heavy usage, whether you’re at home, outside, or on the go. Backed by 10-year limited warranty.
- Highly durable with comprehensive 7-proof protection.
- Backed by a 10 year warranty.
Best SD Cards
Be sure to purchase a card from a brand name with a rock-solid reputation, such as Lexar or SanDisk. Cheap house brand names should be avoided.
Memory card errors, for example a loss of all of your images as a consequence of data corruption, is more probable to occur with low-priced cards. A minimal amount of cost savings is not worth the decline in level of quality.
The smart way to save a bit of money is to just buy a memory card with a smaller capacity. They will be a bit less expensive and you will not have to stress out about the SD card losing your shots.
Bear in mind, SD card issues are infrequent. Just only two cards have failed out of the considerable number I have owned over time. Both memory cards were used third-party cards that were bundled with the purchase of pre-owned digital cameras.
Canon SD890 IS SD Card Compatibility
four different technical specs of Secure Digital (SD) memory cards are currently available. The Canon SD890 IS can only use SD memory cards. The benefit is that there is an increase in the max storage capacity and transfer speeds with the release of every new standard.
Secure Digital memory card readers are backward compatible. A card reader built into a digital camera that can use SDXC cards will also be able to use SDHC and SD memory cards.
The Canon SD890 IS’s card reader is only compatible with the original two SD card standards. SDXC or SDUC SD memory cards will not be compatible.
- Secure Digital (SD) - These memory cards have a maximum capacity of 2GB and are compatible with the SD890 IS.
- Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) - The capacity of these memory cards range from 4GB to 32GB and are also compatible with the SD890 IS.
- Secure Digital eXtended Capacity (SDXC) - The capacity of these memory cards range from 64GB to 2TiB.
- Secure Digital Ultra Capacity (SDUC) - The capacity of these memory cards range from 4TiB to 128TiB.
Canon SD890 IS Memory Card Full Error
Trying to use a memory card that is 64GB or larger in size in the SD890 IS will result in the camera to show an error.
Use a memory card which has a capacity of 32GB or less to prevent the error.
If you attempting to use a memory card that is 32GB or smaller, and the card is not working, try to format the SD card while it is in the camera.
Speed, Class, & Capacity
SD Card Image Capacity
This is an estimation of the number of large JPEGs you will be able to save on an SD card.
- 4GB - 1920 images
- 8GB - 3840 images
- 16GB - 7680 images
- 32GB - 15360 images
Memory Card Speed
The speed rating for SD memory cards is established by sequential read and write speeds. The speed of the memory card is important in the event that many pictures need to be written to the memory card.
SD Card Speed Class Rating
The Class speed rating of an SD memory card is related to the sustained write speed of the memory card. A Class speed rating of 2 means that the SD card can maintain a write speed of more than 2MB per second.
- Class 2 - 2MB/s
- Class 4 - 4MB/s
- Class 6 - 6MB/s
- Class 8 - 8MB/s
- Class 10 - 10MB/s
The highest rating a memory card can receive is Class 10. There are SD memory cards that are a good deal faster than 10MB/s. Those SD cards use other technologies, such as UHS (Ultra Highspeed Bus), which use a different rating standards.
Sustained write speeds of 2MB, 4MB, 6MB, or 8MB per second means the card has a speed class of 2, 4, 6, or 8. Cards that have write speeds of 10MB/s or faster are rated as Class 10.
SanDisk and Siemens AG unveiled the MultiMediaCard standard in 1997. MMC cards appear to be a thinner SD card.
The 1st two versions of MMC memory cards are going to work in the Canon SD890 IS. Compatible cards will be labeled as MMC or MMCplus. Later versions will not work with the Canon SD890 IS
I would not recommend ordering any MMC memory cards. Suitable MMC cards for the SD890 IS are not currently being built. Hence, they are really difficult to find used as well as being overpriced.
Buy an SD memory card for the Canon SD890 IS based on price. An expensive card isn’t going to improve performance. As long as it is a speed class 10 card, you will be fine. My recommendation is the PNY Elite 32GB SD memory card.