Best Canon PowerShot SD40 SD Memory Card
The Canon SD40 requires SD memory cards. 32GB is the biggest capacity SD card that is compatible with the SD40.
MultiMediaCards (MMC) can also be used. However, they are no longer produced. If you have one, you can use it. If you don’t have one, don’t buy one, they will cost more than an SD card.
SD memory cards that satisfy the SDUC or SDXC specifications won’t function correctly in the SD40. These cards can simply be avoided as they have a storage capacity of 64GB or larger.The SDHC format was announced in 2006. All 32GB cards that are currently being produced will have almost identical performance. You cannot go wrong buying the cheapest class 10 name brand card. At the time of writing this, the PNY Elite 32GB SD memory card has the best price.
Recommended SD40 SD Cards
Here are some possibilities to choose from that are compatible with the SD40. With all of the cards outlined below, you won’t have to worry about SD memory card data corruption or reduced capabilities.
- Sequential read speed of up to 100MB/s
- Class 10, U1 rating delivers speed and performance for full HD photography and HD videography.
- V10 video speed rating to capture uninterrupted HD video at 1920x1080 format
- Compatible with point & shoot cameras, DSLR cameras, standard & advanced HD-enabled video cameras, and more
- Reliable & Durable: Magnet Proof, Shock Proof, Temperature Proof, Waterproof
- Quick transfer read speeds up to 90MB/s.
- Write speeds are not capable of recording 4k video.
- Class 10 rating for Full HD video (1080p).
- Waterproof, temperature proof, X-ray Proof, magnet-Proof, and shockproof.
- UHS Speed Class 1 (U1) supports Full HD video and burst shots. 130MB/s transfer speeds1 let you upload footage to your PC in an instant.
- Built to survive tough conditions and heavy usage, whether you’re at home, outside, or on the go. Backed by 10-year limited warranty.
- Highly durable with comprehensive 7-proof protection.
- Backed by a 10 year warranty.
Best SD Cards
Make sure to select a card from a company with a strong reputation, such as Lexar or SanDisk. Low-cost house brands should be avoided.
Memory card failures, including a loss of all of your shots as a consequence of data corruption, is more likely to take place with low-cost cards. An insignificant amount of reduction in cost is not worth the reduction in build quality.
Buying a smaller capacity card is a smart way to save money. They commonly are a little bit lower in price and you will not have to be concerned about the SD card having data failure.
Do not forget, SD card issues are infrequent. Just a couple cards have failed out of the many I have acquired over many years. Age could have added to the failure, as the SD cards were included with pre-owned digital cameras.
Canon SD40 SD Card Compatibility
The Canon SD40 is limited to only using SD memory cards. There are four separate specs of Secure Digital (SD) memory cards. Every new memory card spec boosts the max capacity and transfer rates when compared with the former standard.
Secure Digital memory card readers are backward compatible. A card reader built into a digital camera that can use SDXC cards will also be able to use SDHC and SD memory cards.
The Canon SD40’s card reader can only read the original two SD card standards. SDUC or SDXC cards are not going to function correctly.
- Secure Digital (SD) - These memory cards have a maximum capacity of 2GB and are compatible with the SD40.
- Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) - The capacity of these memory cards range from 4GB to 32GB and are also compatible with the SD40.
- Secure Digital eXtended Capacity (SDXC) - The capacity of these memory cards range from 64GB to 2TiB.
- Secure Digital Ultra Capacity (SDUC) - The capacity of these memory cards range from 4TiB to 128TiB.
Canon SD40 Memory Card Full Error
Attempting to use an SD card that is 64GB or larger in size in the SD40 will result in the camera to display an error.
Use an SD card that has a storage capacity of 32GB or smaller to avoid the problem.
If you are using an SD memory card that is 32GB or smaller, and the card is not working, format the memory card while it is in the camera.
Speed, Class, & Capacity
SD Card Image Capacity
The following is an estimation of how many large JPEGs you could expect to fit on an SD memory card.
- 4GB - 1920 images
- 8GB - 3840 images
- 16GB - 7680 images
- 32GB - 15360 images
Memory Card Speed
The speed rating for SD cards is determined by sequential read and write speeds. The speed of the SD memory card is important in the event that many images need to be written to the memory card.
SD Card Speed Class Rating
The Class speed rating of an SD memory card is based on the sustained write speed of the memory card. A Class speed rating of 2 means that the memory card can maintain a write speed of a minimum of 2MB per second.
- Class 2 - 2MB/s
- Class 4 - 4MB/s
- Class 6 - 6MB/s
- Class 8 - 8MB/s
- Class 10 - 10MB/s
The top rating a card can get is Class 10. There are memory cards that are significantly faster than 10MB/s. Those cards use other solutions, such as UHS (Ultra Highspeed Bus), that have a separate rating specifications.
Sustained write speeds of 2MB, 4MB, 6MB, or 8MB per second means the card has a speed class of 2, 4, 6, or 8. Cards that have write speeds of 10MB/s or faster are rated as Class 10.
The MultiMediaCard technical standard was unveiled in 1997 by Siemens AG and SanDisk. MMC cards are similar in dimensions to an SD card, but they are just a bit thinner.
Only the 1st two versions of MMC cards will function in the Canon SD40. That comprises of the first memory cards branded as MMC and the 2nd gen MMCplus cards. Later versions will not work correctly in the Canon SD40
It is not recommended to buy any MMC cards. Companies are not actively producing MMC cards that will function in the SD40. That’s why, they are tough to obtain used and not cheap.
Buy an SD memory card for the Canon SD40 based on price. An expensive card isn’t going to improve performance. As long as it is a speed class 10 card, you will be fine. My recommendation is the PNY Elite 32GB SD memory card.