Best Canon PowerShot S90 SD Memory Card
The Canon S90 can use SD memory cards. The biggest capacity SD card that is compatible with the S90 is 32GB.
MMCplus and MultiMediaCard (MMC) can also be used in the camera. However, they are not manufactured anymore. If you have one, you can use it. If you don’t have one, do not buy one, they will be more expensive than an SD card.
SD memory cards that meets the SDUC or SDXC requirements are not going to work correctly in the S90. These cards will be 64GB or bigger, so they are simple to avoid.The SDHC format was announced in 2006. All 32GB cards that are currently being produced will have almost identical performance. You cannot go wrong buying the cheapest class 10 name brand card. At the time of writing this, the PNY Elite 32GB SD memory card has the best price.
Recommended S90 SD Cards
The examples below are memory cards that will function correctly with the S90. With all of the cards outlined below, you will not have to be worried about memory card problems or poor capabilities.
- Sequential read speed of up to 100MB/s
- Class 10, U1 rating delivers speed and performance for full HD photography and HD videography.
- V10 video speed rating to capture uninterrupted HD video at 1920x1080 format
- Compatible with point & shoot cameras, DSLR cameras, standard & advanced HD-enabled video cameras, and more
- Reliable & Durable: Magnet Proof, Shock Proof, Temperature Proof, Waterproof
- Quick transfer read speeds up to 90MB/s.
- Write speeds are not capable of recording 4k video.
- Class 10 rating for Full HD video (1080p).
- Waterproof, temperature proof, X-ray Proof, magnet-Proof, and shockproof.
- UHS Speed Class 1 (U1) supports Full HD video and burst shots. 130MB/s transfer speeds1 let you upload footage to your PC in an instant.
- Built to survive tough conditions and heavy usage, whether you’re at home, outside, or on the go. Backed by 10-year limited warranty.
- Highly durable with comprehensive 7-proof protection.
- Backed by a 10 year warranty.
Best SD Cards
Make sure to buy a card from a brand name with a good reputation, particularly SanDisk or Lexar. Low-priced house brands ought to be avoided.
Inexpensive cards are more likely to encounter data corruption, meaning you might lose all of your shots saved on the card. A small amount of decrease in price is not worth the reduction of construction quality.
Get a smaller sized capacity card in the event you want to reduce costs. They will be slightly lower in cost and you won’t have to worry about the SD card becoming corrupted.
Be aware that, SD card issues are rare. Throughout the years, I have only had 2 cards fail on me. Both of the memory cards were previously owned third-party cards that were bundled along with the purchase of previously owned digital cameras.
Canon S90 SD Card Compatibility
The Canon S90 is limited to using SD memory cards. There are four different specifications of Secure Digital (SD) cards. The benefit is that there is an increase in the transfer speeds and maximum storage capacity with the introduction of each new standard.
Secure Digital memory card readers are backward compatible. A card reader built into a digital camera that can use SDXC cards will also be able to use SDHC and SD memory cards.
The card reader in the Canon S90 will only work with the first and second SD card standards. SDXC or SDUC cards won’t work.
- Secure Digital (SD) - These memory cards have a maximum capacity of 2GB and are compatible with the S90.
- Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) - The capacity of these memory cards range from 4GB to 32GB and are also compatible with the S90.
- Secure Digital eXtended Capacity (SDXC) - The capacity of these memory cards range from 64GB to 2TiB.
- Secure Digital Ultra Capacity (SDUC) - The capacity of these memory cards range from 4TiB to 128TiB.
Canon S90 Memory Card Full Error
Attempting to use a memory card that has a capacity of 64GB or larger in size in the S90 will result in the point and shoot camera to display an error.
Use an SD memory card with a storage capacity of 32GB or less to fix the problem.
If you have an SD memory card that is 32GB or smaller, and the card is not functioning correctly, format the SD card while it is in the camera.
Speed, Class, & Capacity
SD Card Image Capacity
The following is a quick estimate of how many large JPEGs you can expect to keep on an SD card.
- 4GB - 1920 images
- 8GB - 3840 images
- 16GB - 7680 images
- 32GB - 15360 images
Memory Card Speed
The speed rating for SD cards is determined by the sequential read and write speeds. The speed of the SD memory card is important in cases where many photos need to be written to the SD memory card.
SD Card Speed Class Rating
The Class speed rating of an SD card is based on the sustained write speed of the memory card. A Class speed rating of 2 means that the card can sustain a write speed of at least 2MB per second.
- Class 2 - 2MB/s
- Class 4 - 4MB/s
- Class 6 - 6MB/s
- Class 8 - 8MB/s
- Class 10 - 10MB/s
The maximum rating an SD memory card can be given is Class 10. There are SD cards that are a good deal faster than 10MB/s. Those SD memory cards use other technology, such as UHS (Ultra Highspeed Bus), which have a different rating specifications.
Sustained write speeds of 2MB, 4MB, 6MB, or 8MB per second means the card has a speed class of 2, 4, 6, or 8. Cards that have write speeds of 10MB/s or faster are rated as Class 10.
The MultiMediaCard technical standard was released by SanDisk and Siemens AG in 1997. MMC cards appear to be a slimmer SD memory card.
MMC memory cards that will function correctly in the Canon S90 consist of the first 2 versions. Compatible cards will be branded as MMCplus or MMC. Later generations will not function correctly in the Canon S90
It isn’t advisable to buy any MMC memory cards. Suitable MMC cards for the S90 are not actively being produced. Because of this, they are extremely hard to come across pre-owned and overpriced.
Buy an SD memory card for the Canon S90 based on price. An expensive card isn’t going to improve performance. As long as it is a speed class 10 card, you will be fine. My recommendation is the PNY Elite 32GB SD memory card.