Best Canon PowerShot A650 IS SD Memory Card
The Canon A650 IS uses SD memory cards. 32GB is the maximum capacity SD card that can be used in the A650 IS.
MMCplus and MultiMediaCard (MMC) can also be used in the camera. However, they are no longer made. If you have one, you can use it. If you don’t have one, do not buy one, they will be more expensive than an SD card.
SD memory cards that satisfy the SDXC or SDUC requirements are not going to function correctly in the A650 IS. These cards will be At least 64GB or larger, so they can easily be avoided.The SDHC format was announced in 2006. All 32GB cards that are currently being produced will have almost identical performance. You cannot go wrong buying the cheapest class 10 name brand card. At the time of writing this, the PNY Elite 32GB SD memory card has the best price.
Recommended A650 IS SD Cards
Here are some possibilities to choose from that can be used in the A650 IS. With any of the cards outlined below, you won’t have to be worried about slow overall performance or SD memory card errors.
- Sequential read speed of up to 100MB/s
- Class 10, U1 rating delivers speed and performance for full HD photography and HD videography.
- V10 video speed rating to capture uninterrupted HD video at 1920x1080 format
- Compatible with point & shoot cameras, DSLR cameras, standard & advanced HD-enabled video cameras, and more
- Reliable & Durable: Magnet Proof, Shock Proof, Temperature Proof, Waterproof
- Quick transfer read speeds up to 90MB/s.
- Write speeds are not capable of recording 4k video.
- Class 10 rating for Full HD video (1080p).
- Waterproof, temperature proof, X-ray Proof, magnet-Proof, and shockproof.
- UHS Speed Class 1 (U1) supports Full HD video and burst shots. 130MB/s transfer speeds1 let you upload footage to your PC in an instant.
- Built to survive tough conditions and heavy usage, whether you’re at home, outside, or on the go. Backed by 10-year limited warranty.
- Highly durable with comprehensive 7-proof protection.
- Backed by a 10 year warranty.
Best SD Cards
Make sure to choose a card from a manufacturer with a good reputation, such as SanDisk or Lexar. Avoid purchasing cards from low-cost third party brands.
Memory card troubles, like a loss of all your photos due to data corruption, is much more likely to occur with inexpensive cards. The reduction in construction quality is not worth the minor savings.
Buying a smaller capacity card is a good way to save some money. They tend to be a bit lower in price and you won’t have to worry about the SD card failing.
Always bear in mind, SD card failures are a very rare experience. Throughout the years, I have only experienced a couple of cards fail. Both memory cards were pre-owned third party cards that were included along with the purchase of previously owned DSLRs.
Canon A650 IS SD Card Compatibility
4 different technical specs of Secure Digital (SD) cards are currently available. The Canon A650 IS uses SD memory cards. Each new memory card specification improves the maximum storage capacity and transfer rates when compared with the earlier standard.
Secure Digital memory card readers are backward compatible. A card reader built into a digital camera that can use SDXC cards will also be able to use SDHC and SD memory cards.
The Canon A650 IS’s card reader will only work with the initial two SD card specifications. SDXC or SDUC cards won’t function correctly.
- Secure Digital (SD) - These memory cards have a maximum capacity of 2GB and are compatible with the A650 IS.
- Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) - The capacity of these memory cards range from 4GB to 32GB and are also compatible with the A650 IS.
- Secure Digital eXtended Capacity (SDXC) - The capacity of these memory cards range from 64GB to 2TiB.
- Secure Digital Ultra Capacity (SDUC) - The capacity of these memory cards range from 4TiB to 128TiB.
Canon A650 IS Memory Card Full Error
Attempting to use a card that has a capacity of 64GB or larger in size in the A650 IS results in the point and shoot camera to display an error message.
Get an SD memory card that has a capacity of 32GB or less to fix the error.
If you have an SD memory card that has a capacity less than 32GB, and it is not working, format the card in the camera.
Speed, Class, & Capacity
SD Card Image Capacity
This is a quick estimate of the quantity of large JPEGs you will be able to keep on an SD memory card.
- 4GB - 1920 images
- 8GB - 3840 images
- 16GB - 7680 images
- 32GB - 15360 images
Memory Card Speed
The speed rating for SD memory cards is determined by the sequential read and write speeds. The speed of the memory card is important for when many photos need to be written to the SD card.
SD Card Speed Class Rating
The Class speed rating of an SD card is related to the sustained write speed of the memory card. A Class speed rating of 2 means that the SD memory card can sustain a write speed of a minimum of 2MB per second.
- Class 2 - 2MB/s
- Class 4 - 4MB/s
- Class 6 - 6MB/s
- Class 8 - 8MB/s
- Class 10 - 10MB/s
The best rating an SD card can receive is Class 10. There are memory cards that are a good deal faster than 10MB/s. Those SD cards use other solutions, such as UHS (Ultra Highspeed Bus), that have a separate rating specifications.
Sustained write speeds of 2MB, 4MB, 6MB, or 8MB per second means the card has a speed class of 2, 4, 6, or 8. Cards that have write speeds of 10MB/s or faster are rated as Class 10.
Siemens AG and SanDisk introduced the MultiMediaCard standard in 1997. MMC cards appear as if they are a thinner SD memory card.
MMC memory cards that are going to function in the Canon A650 IS consist of the first two generations. That includes the 1st cards labled as MMC and the 2nd gen MMCplus memory cards. Later generations are not going to function correctly in the Canon A650 IS
I wouldn’t recommend buying any MMC memory cards. No companies are at present making MMC cards that will work in the A650 IS. Hence, they are pricey as well as being really difficult to come across pre-owned.
Buy an SD memory card for the Canon A650 IS based on price. An expensive card isn’t going to improve performance. As long as it is a speed class 10 card, you will be fine. My recommendation is the PNY Elite 32GB SD memory card.