Best Canon PowerShot A630 SD Memory Card
The Canon A630 uses SD memory cards. 32GB is the maximum capacity SD card that is compatible with the A630.
MultiMediaCards (MMC) can also be used. However, they are no longer made. If you have one, you can use it. If you don’t have one, don’t buy one, they will cost more than an SD card.
SD memory cards labeled as SDXC or SDUC are not going to work properly in the A630. These cards are easy to avoid as they are 64GB or larger in size.The SDHC format was announced in 2006. All 32GB cards that are currently being produced will have almost identical performance. You cannot go wrong buying the cheapest class 10 name brand card. At the time of writing this, the PNY Elite 32GB SD memory card has the best price.
Recommended A630 SD Cards
Down below are SD memory cards that are compatible with the A630. With any of the cards below, you will not have to be worried about SD memory card data corruption or reduced performance.
- Sequential read speed of up to 100MB/s
- Class 10, U1 rating delivers speed and performance for full HD photography and HD videography.
- V10 video speed rating to capture uninterrupted HD video at 1920x1080 format
- Compatible with point & shoot cameras, DSLR cameras, standard & advanced HD-enabled video cameras, and more
- Reliable & Durable: Magnet Proof, Shock Proof, Temperature Proof, Waterproof
- Quick transfer read speeds up to 90MB/s.
- Write speeds are not capable of recording 4k video.
- Class 10 rating for Full HD video (1080p).
- Waterproof, temperature proof, X-ray Proof, magnet-Proof, and shockproof.
- UHS Speed Class 1 (U1) supports Full HD video and burst shots. 130MB/s transfer speeds1 let you upload footage to your PC in an instant.
- Built to survive tough conditions and heavy usage, whether you’re at home, outside, or on the go. Backed by 10-year limited warranty.
- Highly durable with comprehensive 7-proof protection.
- Backed by a 10 year warranty.
Best SD Cards
Lexar, PNY, Samsung, and SanDisk both make good quality memory cards. Inexpensive generic brands need to be avoided.
Inexpensive cards are much more likely to experience data corruption, meaning that you can lose all of your photos contained on the card. An insignificant amount of cost savings is not worth the decline in quality.
Buying a smaller sized capacity card is a smart and practical way to reduce costs. They probably will be a tiny bit less expensive and you will not have to be concerned about the SD card having data failure.
Be aware that, SD card problems are not common. Just only two cards have failed out of the multitude I have owned over time. Age could have played a role, as the SD cards were bundled with previously owned digital point & shoots.
Canon A630 SD Card Compatibility
4 different specifications of Secure Digital (SD) cards are currently being manufactured. The Canon A630 is limited to using SD memory cards. The benefit is that there is an increase in the transfer speeds and maximum capacity with the introduction of every updated standard.
Secure Digital memory card readers are backward compatible. A card reader built into a digital camera that can use SDXC cards will also be able to use SDHC and SD memory cards.
The card reader in the Canon A630 is only compatible with the first two SD card specifications. SDXC or SDUC SD memory cards are not going to function correctly.
- Secure Digital (SD) - These memory cards have a maximum capacity of 2GB and are compatible with the A630.
- Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) - The capacity of these memory cards range from 4GB to 32GB and are also compatible with the A630.
- Secure Digital eXtended Capacity (SDXC) - The capacity of these memory cards range from 64GB to 2TiB.
- Secure Digital Ultra Capacity (SDUC) - The capacity of these memory cards range from 4TiB to 128TiB.
Canon A630 Memory Card Full Error
Trying to use a memory card that has a capacity of 64GB or larger in the A630 will result in the digital point and shoot camera to display an error.
Get an SD card that has a storage capacity of 32GB or less to fix the problem.
If you have an SD memory card that is 32GB or smaller, and it is not functioning correctly, format the SD memory card in the camera.
Speed, Class, & Capacity
SD Card Image Capacity
Here is an estimate of how many large JPEGs you could expect to keep on an SD card.
- 4GB - 1920 images
- 8GB - 3840 images
- 16GB - 7680 images
- 32GB - 15360 images
Memory Card Speed
The speed rating for SD cards is established by sequential read and write speeds. The speed of the card is important when many photos need to be written to the SD memory card.
SD Card Speed Class Rating
The Class speed rating of an SD memory card is dependant on the sustained write speed of the SD card. A Class speed rating of 2 means that the memory card can maintain a write speed of at minimum 2MB per second.
- Class 2 - 2MB/s
- Class 4 - 4MB/s
- Class 6 - 6MB/s
- Class 8 - 8MB/s
- Class 10 - 10MB/s
The best rating a card can get is Class 10. There are SD memory cards that are considerably faster than 10MB/s. Those SD memory cards use other technology, such as UHS (Ultra Highspeed Bus), which use a different rating standards.
Sustained write speeds of 2MB, 4MB, 6MB, or 8MB per second means the card has a speed class of 2, 4, 6, or 8. Cards that have write speeds of 10MB/s or faster are rated as Class 10.
The MultiMediaCard standard was introduced in 1997 by SanDisk and Siemens AG. MMC cards are similar in dimensions to an SD memory card, but they are a bit slimmer.
MMC memory cards that will work in the Canon A630 include the first two versions. Suitable memory cards will be labeled as MMC or MMCplus. Later versions are not going to function with the Canon A630
It isn’t a smart idea to buy any MMC memory cards. Suitable MMC cards for the A630 are not currently being produced. Due to this fact, they are very hard to buy used as well as being very expensive.
Buy an SD memory card for the Canon A630 based on price. An expensive card isn’t going to improve performance. As long as it is a speed class 10 card, you will be fine. My recommendation is the PNY Elite 32GB SD memory card.