Best Canon PowerShot A460 SD Memory Card
The Canon A460 needs SD memory cards. The biggest capacity SD card that can be used in the A460 is 32GB.
MultiMediaCards (MMC) can also be used. However, they are no longer produced. If you have one, you can use it. If you don’t have one, do not buy one, they will cost more than an SD card.
SD memory cards that meets the SDXC or SDUC requirements are not going to function in the A460. These cards can be easily avoided as they are 64GB or larger in size.The SDHC format was announced in 2006. All 32GB cards that are currently being produced will have almost identical performance. You cannot go wrong buying the cheapest class 10 name brand card. At the time of writing this, the PNY Elite 32GB SD memory card has the best price.
Recommended A460 SD Cards
Listed below are SD memory cards that will work correctly in the A460. With all of the cards listed below, you won’t have to worry about reduced capabilities or SD card failure.
- Sequential read speed of up to 100MB/s
- Class 10, U1 rating delivers speed and performance for full HD photography and HD videography.
- V10 video speed rating to capture uninterrupted HD video at 1920x1080 format
- Compatible with point & shoot cameras, DSLR cameras, standard & advanced HD-enabled video cameras, and more
- Reliable & Durable: Magnet Proof, Shock Proof, Temperature Proof, Waterproof
- Quick transfer read speeds up to 90MB/s.
- Write speeds are not capable of recording 4k video.
- Class 10 rating for Full HD video (1080p).
- Waterproof, temperature proof, X-ray Proof, magnet-Proof, and shockproof.
- UHS Speed Class 1 (U1) supports Full HD video and burst shots. 130MB/s transfer speeds1 let you upload footage to your PC in an instant.
- Built to survive tough conditions and heavy usage, whether you’re at home, outside, or on the go. Backed by 10-year limited warranty.
- Highly durable with comprehensive 7-proof protection.
- Backed by a 10 year warranty.
Best SD Cards
Reliable memory cards are manufacture by both SanDisk and Lexar. Bargain-priced no-name brands need to be avoided.
Low-priced cards are more likely to encounter file corruption, meaning that you might lose all of your images on the card. The reduction in the level of quality is not worth the slight savings.
Buy a reduced capacity card in case you want to save some money. They usually are a tad less expensive and you will not have to fret about the SD card having data failure.
Understand that, SD card problems are very uncommon. Just a couple cards have failed out of the many I have possessed over time. Both memory cards were previously owned no-name cards that were included with the purchase of previously owned digital point & shoots.
Canon A460 SD Card Compatibility
4 separate technical specs of Secure Digital (SD) memory cards exist. The Canon A460 uses SD memory cards. Each new memory card technical spec raises the max storage capacity and transfer speeds when compared to the previous standard.
Secure Digital memory card readers are backward compatible. A card reader built into a digital camera that can use SDXC cards will also be able to use SDHC and SD memory cards.
The Canon A460’s card reader will only work with the initial two SD card standards. SDUC or SDXC SD memory cards will not be compatible.
- Secure Digital (SD) - These memory cards have a maximum capacity of 2GB and are compatible with the A460.
- Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) - The capacity of these memory cards range from 4GB to 32GB and are also compatible with the A460.
- Secure Digital eXtended Capacity (SDXC) - The capacity of these memory cards range from 64GB to 2TiB.
- Secure Digital Ultra Capacity (SDUC) - The capacity of these memory cards range from 4TiB to 128TiB.
Canon A460 Memory Card Full Error
Attempting to use an SD card that has a capacity of 64GB or larger in size in the A460 will result in the digital camera to display an error message.
Use a memory card that has a capacity of 32GB or less to rectify the error.
If you have an SD memory card that has a capacity less than 32GB, and it is not working, format the SD card while it is in the camera.
Speed, Class, & Capacity
SD Card Image Capacity
This is an estimation of how many large JPEGs you will be able to fit on an SD memory card.
- 4GB - 1920 images
- 8GB - 3840 images
- 16GB - 7680 images
- 32GB - 15360 images
Memory Card Speed
Speed ratings for SD memory cards are determined by the sequential read and write speeds. The speed of the SD memory card is important when many photographs need to be written to the SD card.
SD Card Speed Class Rating
The Class speed rating of an SD memory card is dependant on the sustained write speed of the SD memory card. A Class speed rating of 2 means that the card can maintain a write speed of a minimum of 2MB per second.
- Class 2 - 2MB/s
- Class 4 - 4MB/s
- Class 6 - 6MB/s
- Class 8 - 8MB/s
- Class 10 - 10MB/s
The maximum rating an SD memory card can have is Class 10. There are memory cards that are a lot faster than 10MB/s. Those SD memory cards use other technologies, such as UHS (Ultra Highspeed Bus), which have a different rating criteria.
Sustained write speeds of 2MB, 4MB, 6MB, or 8MB per second means the card has a speed class of 2, 4, 6, or 8. Cards that have write speeds of 10MB/s or faster are rated as Class 10.
The MultiMediaCard standard was established by SanDisk and Siemens AG in 1997. MMC cards are comparable in size to an SD memory card, but they are a little bit slimmer.
Only the first two versions of MMC cards are going to work correctly in the Canon A460. That includes the 1st memory cards branded as MMC and the second gen MMCplus memory cards. Later generations will not function in the Canon A460
Steer clear of ordering an MMC memory card. No businesses are currently producing MMC cards that will work in the A460. Thus, they are very expensive as well as being hard to purchase pre-owned.
Buy an SD memory card for the Canon A460 based on price. An expensive card isn’t going to improve performance. As long as it is a speed class 10 card, you will be fine. My recommendation is the PNY Elite 32GB SD memory card.